This dish I am posting is my husband's specialty He loves cooking ,trying new dishes & new vegetables, Because of him I think, I have tried different kind of vegetables after coming here, , he will eat whatever I cook!!!!, isn't that great!!, Here is the method he cooks this recipe with all the different kind of greens I bring home, My children love his Keerai Masial, Here is the recipe,
He started cooking with Dill (Sabasige soppu) leaves, then he used it with spinach, sometimes when I get Kale or some green leaves I get in the supermarket, or with Rocket-spinach-Watercress combo!!!, But on Monday he cooked it with Spinach-Dill combo.....
- 2 bunch of Dill leaves
- 300 gms or 2 bunch of Spinach leaves
- 2 fist ful of Moong dal
- 2 heaped tbsp of Jeera
- 4 tbsp of coconut gratings or desiccated coconut
- 12 cashewnuts
- 6 Almonds
- 2 to 3 Red chillies
- A bit of asafoetida
- Salt as required.
- Wash both the greens drain out the water and cut them into pieces
- Wash the dal, Take a vessel pour water and a tsp of turmeric powder and asafoetida, add the washed dal and pour 2 to 2 and 1/2 glasses of water
- Add the greens in them and pressure cook them for 2 whistles.
- Meanwhile, Grind all the above said ingredients raw,
- Once the cooker is cooled mash the cooked dal and greens with a masher then add this ground paste into it and mix well,
- Add salt as required and cook on a medium flame for a few minutes until they cook well together.
- Season them with a tsp of oil, mustard seeds and a sprig of curry leaves.
- Serve it with hot Rice and with a Upperi/Balaka/dried soured green chillies fried in oil.
If you are in India, God! you can get soooo many kinds of keerai, I think its God's own loved land for different variety of vegetables.
Basically KEERAI MASIAL as I learnt it from my Mom-in-law is very simple and easy to make dish, Ingredients are the same but you can use Thuvar dal also instead of Moong dal, you just have to use any keerai you want, cook them in the same way as above said and mash them , Then take a pan season it with a tsp of mustard seeds, 1 tbsp of Urad dal, 1 tbsp of Chenna dal, 2 to 3 broken Red chillies and a sprig of curry leaves, after tempering just mix with it and cook for a few more minutes, That's it job done and tasty to eat, sometimes she used to cut one tomato with it while cooking with the dal!!.
It was a quick recipe used to go very well with Venthya Kuzhambu or Menthi Kuzhambu
NOTE: If you want you can omit cashew and almonds in the recipe and cook with other ingredients then also it will taste very well.