This superfood whole some kale pesto is simple with easy pantry staple ingredients except for Hemp seeds! With a dash of spices and Olive oil is a versatile dish which need not have to use just as pesto, but as a dip, spread, and in any other way you like to have it! And you have easy to understand guide on how to use your Olive oil by Jamie’s Italian !!
We all love food, don’t we? When I go to the supermarkets I started noticing that we have hundreds of choices when it comes to buying food or ingredients right? After moving here being a vegetarian I started reading labels which I never did before! As I wanted to be sure whatever I was buying it. We also never ever bought ready made food which was not so popular in Indian then. we use different kinds of oils in India which usually is to that state we come from isn’t it interesting?
Kale famed as superfood belongs to the cruciferous family. This is high in fiber (1 cup has 2.6grms), high in Iron, high in calcium, Fat-free, keeps cholesterol in check and rich in omega 3, Vitamin A, K and C. Did you know that even though it is good for health? I read somewhere in Google search that it is not good for everybody. You must also read about how it is best to eat it raw or cooked or steamed!
Let’s make this superfood pesto then…..
Kale and Almond Pesto with Roasted Red Peppers and goodness of Hemp seeds:
Yields: 2 Cups
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
300 grams Kale*
50 grams of mixed herbs (Basil, Parsley, Oregano)
¼ cup Hemp seeds
1/3 cup Almonds
1 Large Red Pepper
4 Garlic cloves
10 large olives
½ tbsp chili flakes
1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
¼ to ½ cup Olive oil
¼ cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Take just the leaves of kale, do not use the stem as they will be very chewy, wash well and pat them dry.
- Take fresh herbs of your choice I have used Basil, Parsley, Oregano. Wash and clean the herbs pat them dry.
- Use a stove top or a grill and roast red pepper and Garlic, peel the skin off and keep it aside.
4. Toasted and cooled Almonds and Hemp seeds for few minutes this just helps in releasing the oil and enhances the flavour.
5. In a food processor combine Almonds, Hemp seeds, olives, garlic, mixed herbs, chilli flakes, roasted red pepper, salt, Kale start processing the machine. With the machine running slowly drizzle olive oil into the processor until the mixture is well blended but still has some texture pausing to scrape down the side so everything is well combined.
6. You can add parmesan if you like a creamier texture or you can completely omit it. I haven’t added it. Only thing is you need to find out if the Parmesan is a vegetarian as Parmesan contains rennet.
7. Taste and check if you need more salt and spice. As some Kale may have a bitter taste. Adjust accordingly.
Disclaimer: This Post is in collaboration with Jamie’s Italian, I am a big fan of Jamie Oliver. I have been compensated for a small fee and the opinions are my own.