I made this snack few days back, when the snow was falling and the temprature going down, calling for nice fried items everyday, I think the 3 weeks including with my children's term vacation, I had been very very busy with making lot of things and eating lot of oily food !!, I need to get my cholestrol checked !!, I think it's been so many years since I did lot of pakodas, bondas, bajjis etc., like this, Oops coming back to the recipe, Cherry Tomatoes are small Tomatoes which are in the size of a marble or a little bigger than a marble, or should I say size of cherries!!, they are usually used here with salad leaves and salads which are just eaten raw !!, I love to eat them the same way with some salad leaves and with some other raw veggies, One day my friend H was saying that he had eaten them as Bondas, and now I forget where !!, that inspired to try making Bondas out of them, The only thing I did as an extra was I cut them in half and filled it with onions and carrots and they just disappeared as they came on the plate!, Only my twin daughter did not like it because she doesn't like tomatoes!!, I usually grind them or chop them into tiny bits when using them in other dishes as she picks them if she gets to see them !!
CHERRY TOMATO BONDAS WITH FILLING
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Bengal Gram Flour/ Kadale Hittu/chickpea flour
- Pinch of Baking soda
- Salt as required
- chilli powder as required
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 Large chopped Onion
- 1 Medium sized carrot skin peeled and grated
- chilli powder to taste
- salt to taste
- 7 to 8 sprigs of Fresh Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Lime accordingly to taste which is optional
- You must have noticed in the recipe that I have not mentioned the quantity as I did not measure !!, You all must have done lot of Bondas, Bajjis, so I thought no need to write the quantity.
- Sieve the Gram flour with salt and chilli powder, If you take around 1 cup you might need 1to 1 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of chilli powder, and also Baking Soda, it actually vaires according to the taste of each and every person, as I like a bit spicier I might have added 1 and 1/2 tbsp of chilli powder, it is entirely up to you to guess !!
- Once you have mixed everything well add water to the consistency of thick Dosa Batter (before adding more water to make it to Dosa Spreading consistency) or thick pancake batter or Idli batter, as you need to dip tomatoes into the batter and it should have a thick coating before you drop them into oil for deep frying.
- If it is too watery it will not coat to the Tomatoes and run away spreading every where in the oil !!, so just check when you dip it and put then put it in the oil.
- It is just like making Aloo Bondas, nothing special, Soda, gives a little fluffyness to it that is it makes it swell nicely !!
- Next for the filling, Mix all the Ingredients mentioned in the Filling, cut the Bondas the serve them immediately.
One important thing to note is, leaving salt, mix all the other Ingredients in the fillings list, But if you mix salt and keep it aside the onions start giving out water and it becomes quite soggy before serving.
Just before serving add salt mix and then serve.
sorry for writing so late, you all liked it, that's great thank you so much, only my daughter did not like it!! (she hates tomatoes) ajeeb ladki!!, they were quite juicy, it was quite different, and don't forget to coat them well, and the minute the bondas(outer covering) is done you should take them off or else the skin of tomatoes start sizzling and the water in it starts leaking careful, one or two when done you will know how to handle them!! thanks for all your encouraging comments, love you all thanks once again.
This is quite innovative. Never seen tomatoes in bondas let alone cherry tomatoes.
Hey Jay, sounds like a nice idea and definitely as a filling they would be nicely cooked and soft would taste absoultely great to eat!!! After all the munching every body feels like their cholestrol shoots up high and need a checking, btw dont forget me when make thes nice snacks next time 😉
this sounds totally new..yet so Yum...nice combo..
first time here....yumy bonda's...never thought of using cherry tomatoes for bonda's..awesome idea
Loved ur cute bondas
a different recipe!
Lovedthe idea of these bondas. Any deep fried is tempting. I tagged you here
Check it and do the needful.
Thats a fabulous idea jayasri,I am now hungry @ TEA time,wud be perfect if I make now 🙂
Cherry tomatoes in bonda, neat idea! Looks delicious,would be perfect for a cold wintry day 🙂
Tomato bonda is a great idea. Nam kade sanna capsicum sigathe alwa for making bondas..illi tumba doddadu..Bangalore bonda hesru keline I am drooling!
Hi, Thanks for all the lovely comments, it was quite nice, It was quite a different combo !!, and it was cute too!
Bondas looks so cute...lovely and very unique..
WOW! Never thought of using Cherry tomatoes in Bonda, looks tasty.
Wow thats very unique bondas dear!
nice twist of bondas with cherry tomatoes.
something new and that too cherry tomato bondas.They look yum and tempting and worth trying out soon.do visit my blog and give ur comments.
Nice combination dear..Looks yummy and delicious...