This is another of my favourites, When I came to UK, I learnt this from one of my British friends, it is a very simple one and absolutely tasty, when I came here first I used to eat it lot of times, then I stopped eating it, as I had to consume lot of cheese which was not good for my cholesterol ! , I keep making this often because my kids & hubby like it very much, But Of course, I don't eat it much, But I nick broccoli's & cauliflower in it!,
- 1 cup of cauliflower
- 1 cup of broccoli
- white sauce
- salt as required
To Make white Sauce:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp plain flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- salt or sugar as required (optional)
- Cook both the vegetables, drain out all the water and keep it aside
- Make the white sauce now, using the ingredients under white sauce, Heat butter in a pan in a reduced flame, when it completely melts
- Add the plain flour (maida) to it 1 or 2 tbsps and fry it without browning it
- Remove it from fire and cold milk gradually and sir constantly so that no lumps are formed
- Put it back on a low flame and sir constantly till the sauce becomes thick & creamy
- I increase the quantity of milk if I want to make it more or until the raw smell of maida disappears.
- Add salt & sugar accordingly
- Once the sauce is ready in a oven dish arrange the vegetables, pour the sauce over it
- sprinkle little salt & pepper
- Then sprinkle grated cheese on it so that it completely covers the veggies
- And put the oven tray in the oven and bake it on gas mark 4 , The cheese melts and turns into golden in colour
- Take it out and it is now ready to serve.
Note: When using maida it should be cooked properly otherwise the raw taste of maida will spoil the sauce, And always remember to make this sauce in a reduced flame constantly stirring.
Variation: You can use sliced potatoes cooked and arranged neatly on the baking sheet and then continue with the same process.
Leave a Reply