So, here is the recipe for the kootu.
BOTTLE GOURD KOOTU (SOREKAAYI /BEEREKAAYI/DUDHI)
- 1 Bottle Gourd
- 1 small cup Moong dhal/Hesaru bele/Green gram
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds /methi/menthya
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds/jeera/jeerigae
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds/dhaniya
- 2-4 Guntur-byadgi dry red chillies
- A pinch of hing/asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 lime size tamarind soaked/imli
- 6-8 curry leaves/kadipatta
- 2 tsp oil
- Peel the skin of bottle gourd and cook it in the pressure cooker with moong dhal for 2 whistles.
- Take a fry pan and with 1 tsp of oil, first add fenugreek seeds. When they start turning into golden colour add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies and hing. Fry them till a nice aroma comes out.Remember always fry ingredients in a low flame and if you fry them separately and with patience, the end product will be very tasty and smells very very nice.
- Grind the fried ingredients into a coarse paste and keep aside.
- Take the cooked dhal and the vegetable into vessel, add the soaked filtered tamarind water into it and allow to boil for few minutes until the raw smell of the tamarind disappears (say around 5 to 10 minutes). Add the ground paste and a little more water (consistency of kootu) and boil it. Add curry leaves and cook it further for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Take it out and season it with 1 tsp of oil with 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds. Serve hot with rice or chapati.